2.17.2014

Stylized Luxe X Leah Singh

This month I had the opportunity to interview Leah, the founder and creative mind behind Leah SinghHer collection of pillows, clutches and bone jewelry mixes traditional Indian craft techniques with modern, geometric forms. I'm thrilled to share Leah's story, and how her brand promotes the rejuvenation of traditional Indian craftsmanship.
How has your childhood and educational background shaped the Leah Singh brand?

I grew up in India surrounded by color, patterns, ancient architecture, and a diversity of art from the different states in the country. Traditional textiles and decorative objects were and still are seen in every homeincluding mine. Although I loved it all, it was just another part of everyday life, so I didn't pay any special attention to it.

Then I attended Parsons in New York to study industrial design and was away for six years, with only a handful of two-week long visits to India. It was during these visits that I began to fall in love with the different craft forms. I think the stark contrast between my surroundings in NY and India, as well as my industrial design training, is what made me start to notice and appreciate different aspects of both places. My collections are a combination of my favorite things from each place.

When did you launch your collection, and how has it evolved over the years?

I launched my first collection of jewelry in 2010a continuation of my thesis project at Parsons in which I designed lamp fixtures that were made of bone. Although the jewelry satisfied my love of sculptural, geometric forms, it did not satisfy my love of colors and patterns. My textile collection was the solution to thisthe weaving, embroidery, and printing techniques that I use allow me to play with all the colors and patterns that my heart desire! At the same time, it provides a platform for me to work with artisans across India to create my collection.



It's incredible that you work directly with craftspeople in villages across India. How did this collaboration begin?

I found that although India has so many different craft techniques, the aesthetic and product categories have barely changed over the years. They remain traditional and do not feel applicable to current times, so as a result the crafts and techniques are starting to die out.

But they are so beautiful! The craftsmen and craftswomen are so skilled, yet completely undervalued. So my aim with my brand is to rejuvenate select crafts and create a new market for them. In order to do this, I work directly with the artisans, who I meet at craft bazaars as well as through friends and acquaintances.

Would you say your collaborative efforts have helped the community in India?

In a small way, the collaboration has helped the different communities because our company is creating industry for these artisansbut I feel that there is still a long way to go.

The geometric forms in your textiles and jewelry appear both modern and evocative of traditional Indian patterns. How do you strike a balance when designing your pieces?

I design freely without any rules or restrictions. However, after designing, I review all the designs to determine whether any look too traditional or ethnic. If so, I remove it from the collection. I don't have trouble when it comes to the modernity of shapes and patterns, but I sometimes find the color selection process challenging. Some color combinations can be too bright and colorful, and it begins to look like an Indian wedding!

But Indian weddings are beautiful! What was the color inspiration behind your Spring 2014 collection?

This season's inspiration was a combination of sunsets, deserts and oceans. In fact, the desert landscape of my mother's hometown in Rajasthan inspired the dusty palette of sand, mahogany, and sea blue.

Leah Singh's SS14 Collection includes a variety of home décor pillows, handcrafted clutches and signature bone jewelry. The full collection is available at LeahSingh.com. I hope you enjoyed meeting Leah, and I encourage everyone to explore her new collection. Thank you so much for reading!


47 comments:

  1. She is such a talented person! Wonderful interview!

    Lauren,
    http://www.atouchofsoutherngrace.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely! And such a big heart too! Glad you liked it :)

      xo Jess

      Delete
  2. Great post! Love the interview! XO

    http://stylesensemoments.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a great interview! Everything is beautiful.
    the-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome interview!
    Gorgeous designs. c:

    <3
    Harlynn
    mindyourmadness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh very nice interview, now I´m following you in GFC (#1002)
    I hope your follow me abck!
    comment to me back to keep in touch!
    xx

    www.sakuranko.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. K & I desperately need pillows for our living room couch - & we may just need to purchase one or two from Leah Singh! Thank you for sharing!

    xo, B
    www.BKCsquared.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so cute B! Really love her designs too--the colors and shapes are just perfect :)

      xx J

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous pieces! A great pillow can make all the difference in a room's design--as does the perfect statement jewelry item! T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful insight Tina! Thank you so much for your comment!

      xo Jess

      Delete
  8. Those pillows are beautiful!! Would you like to follow each other? Please let me know if you're interested. Latest post on my blog is A Cultural Tango

    Louisa Moje
    http://lapassionvoutee.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice pillows! Love your posts! Following you on GFC and instagram.Hope you can follow me back and keep in touch :-)
    http://www.fabuloustorture.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous collection! I lovee the pillows, I have such an obsession over beautiful pillows even though I don't yet have a place of my own to put them! Also, the necklace is amazing! Great interview, I love to hear the perspectives and inspiring thoughts of individuals who have had the courage to make their dreams reality!

    xx Debbie

    www.whatdoffydoes.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's definitely an inspiration! I'm sure when you do have your own place, it will look so chic! :)

      xoxo Jess

      Delete
  11. my favourite part is definitely the jewellery! it's incredibly cool and unique! and I also like the fact that she appreciates local artists' talent. thank you for sharing, Jess :) and thank you for the sweet comment too, dear.

    Maiken,
    Maikeni blogi - part of me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maiken! The jewelry is actually sculpted in bone, which is a natural by-product of the agricultural industry of India. And I agree, isn't she amazing?

      xo Jess
      p.s. Always a pleasure visiting your blog!

      Delete
  12. Every single one of her pieces is more than beautiful :)

    http://mykindofjoy.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  13. amazing designs! love your blog:)
    would you like to follow each other? let me know!xox

    liinukallinen.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  14. hey! love your blog :) would you like to follow for a follow? just let me know on my blog heleenakk.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a great interview I love your blog:)

    www.shaunasharp.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shauna!! Your Glossy Box post is great!

      xo Jess

      Delete
  16. I need to buy a couple throw pillow for my couch.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those pillows are beautiful!

    Stay in touch with me on BLOGLOVIN

    Love,
    FASHIONHYPNOTISED

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for your comments.You have a very nice blog.
    I´m following you. Follow back?
    www.1000manerasdevestir.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for your lovely comment look forward to your posts
    http://followeroffashionn.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  20. great interview!!! nice blog
    unconventionalsecrets.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for the lovely comment on my blog. I'd love to follow each other and started follwoing via gfc. Waiting for you to follow back! :)

    Allthingsglitterandbeauty

    ReplyDelete
  22. Terrific interview...these patterns and colour mixes are so beautiful! Thanks for sharing your opinion on my last post.

    ReplyDelete
  23. ok beautiful I added you :) Thanks you very much . Your blog is great :) kisses

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful pillow, I would love some for my new room. But I probably can't get them to the Netherlands ):
    By the way, thank you for visiting my blog! I love yours too and I would very much like to follow each other (: (In fact I already started ;)

    xxx Anna
    Ps. I just renewed my blog!
    Come take a look
    A Tale of Two Shoes

    ReplyDelete
  25. My goodness, I'd take one of each pillow! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hey jess thanks for sharing this! Love all of the cushions & the kilimanjaro necklace is brilliant! What a perfect name.


    xx,
    Mitch♥︎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it Mitch! I agree, love the Kilimanjaro necklace too!

      xx Jess

      Delete
  27. hey! love your blog :) would you like to follow for a follow? just let me know on my blog

    heleenakk.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great interview and great collection of pillows!:)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Nice post dear!
    www.1000manerasdevestir.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you for your comment on my blog. I'm following you now on GFC #1016. Please follow back. Check out my blog and outfits on LOOKBOOK

    Louisa Moje
    http://lapassionvoutee.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  31. This post is such an inspiration.....Great post dear.


    Love,
    Janika

    ReplyDelete
  32. lovely blog :)
    http://saltskinned.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh wow, great design plus comfy! :D

    http://ellyseerubin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi dear
    Beautiful pieces, so inspiring
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  35. lovely post!
    www.1000manerasvesvestir.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. Beautiful!! Thanks for your comment on my blog! I now follow you on GFC! Can you follow back? :)

    http://abeautysection.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete